Originally my proposal was…
MA Fashion Footwear for Term 1 – October 27, 2010
Mass customization, woman, comfort, materials, processes
The proposal for term one is to go as deep into research as possible of mass customization what it means, what has been done already, where the opportunities are to make the work accessible to woman’s footwear market and what are the implications on form, visual qualities and comfort. The reason for this study is to see what opportunities are possible for a designer to control the work on a small scale production basis. Hopefully this will allow for more creative outcomes if a designer can work commercially outside the existing footwear industry hierarchy.
Qualities to explore in the work are below…
1. Woman’s lifestyle footwear including higher heals
2. User centered focusing on space between foot – there are practical and cost issues surrounding the scanning of a customer’s foot. Other possible ideas is to work with construction
3. Bespoke customized approach and service – a suggestion mapped out in visual document of service for the customer
4. Process lead – process drives form
5. Reduction in components – Having product and furniture as a background where innovation of materials and structures give the visual references, I would like to work outside the template of existing constructions and approach the work as if we moved from an early bespoke cobble construction (i.e. Roman, Greek, American Indians) to a digital rapid manufacturing. I want to move away from cultural references as they hold less meaning for me in a global economy. Working with the primal idea of wrapping the foot with a soft bed of comfort inside
6. Exposure of structure where this becomes the form, lines – the decoration is not representational but inherent, where the structure and material arrangements become the “decoration”. In an ideal the process will be significant in dictating the form.
7. Breathable natural materials – leathers, wools, cork felt
8. Vernacular materials – research into UK wool felt makers
9. Attention to comfort both physically and visually, the footwear should have affordance. – An affordance is a quality of an object, or an environment, that allows an individual to perform an action. In this case the footwear it to seduce the lady to stepping in.
All along Heather my tutor urged me to focus my brief. I assume she could see I was throwing everything in including the kitchen sink! For me it is extremely difficult to focus as I always see so many issues to factor in and explore. However I understand that only by focus can a person “professionally, systematically and maybe even scientifically” explore and area and get a meaningful outcome.